- I use a family shared Apple ID for iTunes purchases, tied to a credit card.
- I use an individual Apple ID for each phone’s iCloud.com access (same @me.com email addresses we used as MobileMe users, 1 Family Pack and 1 Individual).
- I suspect many other families are doing something very similar, to save on the cost of buying apps, sharing them among all immediate family members, as Apple explains here.
I then figured this list, that I created for my family use, might also be useful for others.
The goal is for each phone has its own email, contacts, calendars, etc, while also sharing all iTunes Store purchases, and each phone can be located if lost by me, the family plan account holder.
Here’s a look at the checklist I personally followed, when “redeploying” my extended family’s 6 iPhones 4 devices on Oct 13 2011.
- Tap “Find My iPhone” app and configure individual Apple ID and password
- Download “Find Friends” app and login with individual Apple ID,
send invites to all family’s individual Apple ID email addresses, then accept those invites on each phone
- Tap “iTunes” app and configure shared Apple ID
- Tap Settings, iCloud, Find My iPhone, move slider to “On”
- Tap Settings, iCloud, Account, and type in your individual Apple ID
- Tap Settings, Music, Home Sharing, and type in your shared Apple ID
- Tap Settings, Video, Home Sharing, and type in your shared Apple ID
- Tap Settings, Photos, Photo Stream, move slider to “On”
- Tap Settings, Store, Apple ID, and be sure it has your shared Apple ID,
consider turning on “Automatic Downloads” for Music, Apps, and/or Books.
- Tap Settings, General, Restrictions,
consider enabling restrictions on “Location” and “Accounts” to reduce risk stolen in the unlocked state
- Consider backing up to a computer that is backed up daily, this way, you’ll be able to roll back or
just pull data from any day using iphonebackupextractor.com, if necessary
- Configure WiFi Sync using the excellent set of instructions here:
Please consider letting us know other key steps I might have missed. You can type comments right here in Disqus below!